What are the issues concerning the children?
When parents separate, and though it is hard for you, it is more important than ever to parent together. The major decisions affecting the children are likely to be:
- How to minimize their hurt, be open with them about your situation, how to co-parent together
- Where they will live
- What arrangements will be made for them to spend time with each of you and other relatives
- Special provisions, if any, that might need to be made about such matters as education, religion and health
- The level of financial support required to meet their needs
- How can they be appropriately consulted
Susan understands that you may have quite different views on some or all of these matters and will help you build on your relationship as parents so you can focus more effectively on your children's needs.
Over time, and as your children develop and or new situations emerge, arrangements may need to shift or become more fluid in order to reflect their changing needs as well as your own. Susan can offer assistance, if appropriate at a later date, for parents to review arrangements for their children as they move into new systems of living.